Since heartburn is a malaise affecting a wide section of people, a large number of home remedies have been practiced over the times. Naturally (no pun intended!), not all of them are likely to be effective. Here are some home remedies that have proven to be effective.
1) Baking Soda: This natural antacid often provides quick relief. The suggested dosage is one teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 8 ounces of water. However, the relief offered may be only temporary. Since dissolving baking soda in water will release carbon dioxide, carbon dioxide causes a fizz, which opens the LES, making you blurp. Blurping relieves the pressure from bloating. This is what makes you feel the relief. But, unfortunately, opening up the LES can also cause the contents of the stomach to flow into the esophagus, thereby aggravating the condition again.
2) Banana fruit: This is also a natural antacid. Both fresh bananas and dried bananas can give you a long term relief from heartburn.
3) Chamomile Tea: This tea acts by neutralizing stomach acid. People normally drink this to get relief from stress. But it is a great remedy for GERD also. It is also used by people as a stress reliever.
4) Natural apple cider vinegar: People using this have reported positive results. Apart from taking this as a liquid, you can also consume this in tablet or capsule form.
5) Fresh ginger: This has been used since long to treat nausea. It is also a very good medicine for heartburn. Ginger can be used in a variety of ways. It is widely used as an additive to food. You can also take it in the raw form. Ginger juice and ginger tea are other popular ways of using this therapeutic substance.
6) Turmeric: This popular spice works against the occurrence of heartburn by stimulating digestion and preventing acid build up. It can be used in curried foods or can be taken in capsule form before taking your meals.
7) Aloe Vera Juice: This is the juice prepared from the Aloe Vera plant and helps in soothing an irritated esophagus. Please ensure that you use only the juice specifically prepared for internal consumption.
Though the above remedies may not have been scientifically proven to be cures for GERD/heartburn, they have been generally found effective by many people from different parts of the world. Since these are food products, they may not have any harmful effects if taken in small quantities. Choose the one which you find to be suitable for you and giving you long term relief.